The Ursuline Chronicle:The student news magazine of Ursuline Academy

The Ursuline Chronicle

Raiders bring the heat to winter sports…

Val Cradler, Staff Writer

The Raiders are back from winter break and while the rest of us were sleeping in, starting or finishing “Shameless,” and stuffing ourselves with Christmas cookies, our winter sports teams were out and about!

Down at Fletcher Brown, the swimmers are preparing for the second half of their season. Come and support our swimmers as they “fish” for another championship! The team remains strong in ‘16-’17. With just one loss (out of state), and five wins and counting, the Raider swimmers look to rule the pool! Senior captain and recent Michigan State commit Marie Dickson speaks on her 4th and final season as a

Raider, “I am very excited for my final swim season as a Raider. I have enjoyed swimming for Ursuline these past three years for it has allowed me to build a multitude of friendships that I will forever treasure… Our 2016 state championship could not have been accomplished without all of the cheering and support from the team. I am looking forward to the upcoming season!”

Basketball participated in the Diamond State Classic over break. This tournament is a 24 year old tradition hosted by St. Elizabeth’s High School spans over the course of 4 days drawing teams from all across the country. In a close championship game, the Raiders pulled through to seal the championship and bring the trophy back to UA— one that had been missing since the Delle Donne era. Leading scorer Maggie Connolly states, “The team has had a lot of fun so far, we were all super excited to win Diamond State and can’t wait for the rest of the season.” Stay up to date with the basketball team on instagram @uabasketball2017!

The dance team debuted their newest moves at last week’s basketball game. Don’t miss your chance to catch them at the remaining home basketball games. Just try not to dance, dance, dance along! With just three freshmen, one junior, and two seniors, senior Celina Ceballos said of the season, “The dance team is small but shiny like stars on the dance floor.” It could be those flashy uniforms!

Indoor track is FAST approaching their final state meet on the 4th of February, which is the DIAA championship. Annabel Gioffre a sophomore runner talks on her team entering, “We have a lot of really good runners and hopefully we can come out with a win! UATF!” UA’s very own award-winning Coach Fischer is at the helm again as our runners vie for state titles. See if you can CATCH them!

Happy St. Angela Day, Catholic Schools Week and always remember to support UA sports! They are nothing without their fans.