The Ursuline Chronicle:The student news magazine of Ursuline Academy

The Ursuline Chronicle

Reading: A Cause or Reliever of Stress?

Julianna Salak, Featured Writer

Research shows that the mind can do so many things at one time, and unfortunately that can put a huge strain on one’s mental health. It has be proven, though, that stress from many different scenarios can be relieved just from the action of reading. No matter if it is a frivolous article on a gossip website, an amazing editorial from the school newspaper (the UA Chronicle), or a classic or modern novel, it can have the desired effect of washing all your worries away. There are even many programs dedicated to helping recovering addicts or people with mental health problems that utilize reading as a method of treatment. Though there are many other ways to help relieve stress, such as drinking a hot cup of tea or coffee, listening to music, taking a long walk, or simply taking a shower or bath, reading is proven to be the most effective method (“Reading can help reduce stress’”). This is because reading requires a large amount of work and focus from the mind, so it cancels out whatever is happening in the outside world, including the things that cause stress or anxiety. Fiction would be the best option for the most optimal results, but really any book or piece of writing works well enough if it is a subject that piques the interest of the reader. Reading calms the brain, transporting the consciousness into a tranquil and solitary state where it is free of the stress or anxiety found in daily life.

“Reading ‘can Help Reduce Stress'” The Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group, 30 Mar. 2009.                      Web. 18 Mar. 2016.