The Ursuline Chronicle:The student news magazine of Ursuline Academy

The Ursuline Chronicle

Senior Cinematic Sayonara

Nina Kegelman, Senior Editor

Few TV and movie productions can be said to have left a lasting impact on the viewer and the rest of film history. When they do, they create iconic scenes that stay with you- reminding you of the greatest moments from some of the best characters on screen. Hoping to leave you all with that same feeling, the Class of 2017 has recreated seven of their favorite famous “last scenes.”

• The Sopranos (2007)

Many die-hard viewers thought their cable went out at the last second of the series finale of the hit show about an infamous crime family. Protagonist Tony Soprano sits at a diner with Carmela and AJ to “remember the good times.” The three share food, and after a mysterious car pulls up outside, Tony Soprano looks up, and the screen goes black.

UA students surely have a similar experience when they look up at the clock in the UA Cafe and find they have no time left for lunch. We don’t know whether mob boss Sarah Taylor survives or is killed, but she’s likely to die of hunger.

1. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)

Julia Sparco emulates the carefree Ferris Bueller after his successful day of hooky. Relaxing on a couch in the senior lounge, Julia reminds us, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it!” It’s kind of childish and stupid, but then again, so is high school…

1. The Karate Kid (1984)

Everybody loves an underdog. Everybody loves bullies getting kicked in the face even more. The Karate Kid is the story of Danny Laruso, who struggles after moving to a new school in California and being tormented by Johnny Lawrence, a karate champion. Danny learns how to fight under the training of peaceful handyman Mr. Miyagi and wins the karate tournament even after another fighter uses an illegal move against him.

All UA students feel that “sweep the leg”  moment at one time or another, and seniors definitely know when to “Get the bodybag!” when someone passes out in the lounge. Annie Colbourn represents a triumph over Ursuline’s own bully Nina Kegelman with the preying mantis pose.  

1. Dead Poets Society (1989)

Sophomore English students at Ursuline are all too familiar with the tragic story of the heartthrobs at Welton Academy, where the ever-inspiring Mr. Keating teaches emotionally-repressed boys to embrace poetry and “suck the marrow out of life.” When Keating is unjustly fired for indirectly “causing” the suicide of a student, his class pays him a tribute by defiantly standing on their desks to prove their loyalty as he leaves.

It’ll be hard for seniors to leave Captain McGiveney, though he has only been at UA for this year.

1. The Breakfast Club (1985)

“Don’t You Forget About Keely” as she walks on by the Fine Arts Center, which will soon become an entirely renovated Student Life Center. Who better to play the rebel than the free-spirited Keely? (Okay, this may have been her favorite character from her favorite movie of all time.) As we graduate, remember that at Ursuline, we see us as we want to see us, athletes, scholars, athletes, scholars, athletes.

1. Forrest Gump (1994)

“Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get,” Martha reflects as she moves on from her childhood school. Even though Martha has no classmates named Jenny (pronounced: JIN-ay) to cheer her on as she races towards the finish line of high school, she, like the feather in the frame, will float on towards a great destiny.

1. M*A*S*H* (1983)

We attempted to recreate the final shot of M*A*S*H* by spelling “Goodbye” out on the green with our textbooks. After what happened with Trapper and Col. Henry Blake, we didn’t want to miss our chance to say goodbye to UA and BJ. Only unlike the characters on M*A*S*H*, the seniors will be graduating with an 100% survival rate.

Special thanks to Christa McDowell, Lily Conaty, Sarah Taylor, Julia Sparco, Areeba Khan, Kiara Stovall, Paige Masley, Sarah Looney, Maria Mathew, Carter Vari, Shayla Bartoli, Mr. McGivney, Mrs. Heiss, Annie Colbourn, Keely Renninger, Martha Skehan, photographer Celina Ceballos, and anyone who helped carry all those textbooks out to the field in 80 degree weather for making this happen.

GOODBYE, FAREWELL, AND AMEN