The Ursuline Chronicle

The Art of Being Yourself

Carly Palkon, Junior Writer

Life likes to throw a lot of curveballs. One week, you’ll have straight A’s, your crush asked you out, that one teacher you never really liked is actually okay, and everything is sunshine and rainbows. Next thing you know, you’re failing half of your classes, your crush didn’t like you after all, that teacher actually hates you, and on top of it all, it’s Raider Bowl for lunch.

Life can get especially overwhelming sometimes, and we get it. You have homework, sports, an afterschool job, and probably a lot more. Life is tough, but that doesn’t mean that during your tough spots you shouldn’t enjoy yourself.

Here are some quick tips to make the most out of your day!

Get Your Beauty Rest

Trust me on this one. Sometimes getting the right amount of sleep can either make or break your day, and we all want to have a good day. Plus science has also shown that you’re not on your A-game when you don’t get enough sleep, so try to get at least 8 hours of sleep every night.

Put the Phone Down

Okay, this one can be challenging, especially if you’re addicted to Instagram like I am. But taking a detox from social media and putting down the phone for a couple hours every night can improve your mental wellbeing. Sometimes we all just need a break from constantly comparing ourselves to others, and we just need a little reminder that life is not always like what our Instagram feed shows us.

Plan. Plan. Plan.

And then plan some more.

This is especially helpful when you have a jam-packed schedule, but at the same time, can be super hard to implement into your daily schedule. I’ll be honest, there are days when I don’t even touch my planner and then that night I’m scrambling to remember what I had for homework. Life is just so much more organized for me when I make the effort to plan out my day, and write down important assignments.

If you find yourself needing to work on time management, or you just 

want to be more organized, set a time every day where you can plan for the next day. Plus it’s an excuse to buy some really cute notebooks.

Don’t Be Afraid To Take A Day Off

This is something that many people, myself included, struggle with. Sometimes we just push ourselves until we have nothing left to give, and then we’re left with the dreaded burnout, and that’s no fun. So don’t be afraid to take a mental health day or a day to yourself. Binge Stranger Things. Wrap yourself up in blankets and lay in bed for an hour. Read a book. Watch a movie. Go out with friends to a party. Hang out with family. Play with your dog.

We all need to take time to ourselves, because it’s the best way to destress. So don’t be afraid to take it.

Lastly…..

Sometimes life is just awful, and it feels like nothing can go your way. And yeah, we’ve all felt like that at one point. But trust me, you are amazing, and life will get better. Don’t be afraid to go to others when you feel that you are struggling. Plus, life is so much more fun when you’re dancing in the rain versus sitting in a puddle.