The Ursuline Chronicle

An Interview with Freshman Runner Laini McGonigle

Valerie Cradler, Senior Editor

This month I interviewed Laini McGonigle, a freshman here at Ursuline. Laini had a successful cross-country season finishing 3rd in the DIAA State Championship and closing her season amongst her many accolades with a 2nd Team All-State recognition. I had the pleasure of running behind (never with) Laini this past fall and can attest to her being as great of a person as she is runner. While I have crossed my final high school cross-country finish line, I was interested in the success of Laini and thought everyone could benefit from a little more McGonigle in their life. On her winter track season…

1.What events do you run?

I run mostly distance events including the 800, 1600 or 1 mile, and the 3200 meter races.

2. What advice do you have to someone interested in starting track?

Just go for it.   The track and cross country team is so welcoming and supportive. While the sport is physically challenging, it is very rewarding to see yourself and your teammates improving throughout the season.

3. Do you have a pre race ritual? Any foodsor drinks that are a must?

Yes, my dog is named Lucky and whenever I am leaving for a meet, I pet him for good luck in my race. I also have to eat pasta before a race, no matter how early the race is

4. What is your motivation for improving?

I want our Ursuline team to be as successful as possible in Delaware.  My teammates and I motivate each other toward this goal.

5. What is your proudest moment so far this season?

My proudest moment this year was when our entire cross country team ran a great race at Bellevue State Park and we won the Catholic Conference Championship.

6. What are your goals for the season?

My main goal for this year for winter track is to run better at states than I did last year. So each day I try to improve so I can meet that goal.

7. What is the best piece of advice Coach Fischer has given you?

Coach Fischer has given me great advice but one of the most important things he has taught me is the importance of training, resting and eating well.  Coach Fisher tells us the race will find your weakness and I think about that when we are training because that is when races are won.

8. Do you love the Ursuline Chronicle and want to join our team?

I think it’s great that we have a newspaper that writes about student life and everything that’s going on in the Ursuline Community!  

Come support Laini and the winter track team in their next meet on January the 26th at Tower Hill.