The Ursuline Chronicle

Brain Foods

Annabelle Miller, Senior Writer

Five Brain Foods You Should Eat During School

We all know the feeling, it’s around 5th period and you just can’t seem to focus on the teacher. Lunch is over and you can’t eat anything during class. What you eat at lunch can mean the difference between checked out and trying hard.

1. 1. Coffee: Most people drink coffee in the morning to wake themselves up and also throughout the day to stay alert, but it also improves your mood by transmitting through your “happy” neurotransmitters, like serotonin.
  2. Blueberries: They contain many antioxidants that can improve the communication between your brain cells, and this is shown to improve your memory. Add blueberries to a smoothie, eat them with greek yogurt, or even snack on a handful. 
  3. Dark Chocolate: Who doesn’t want to eat chocolate that has many health benefits? Dark chocolate contains magnesium which helps blood flow to the brain, which will improve your memory. It also contains more caffeine than coffee.
  4. Peanut Butter: Peanut butter has a lot of protein and good fats that keep you full for longer. Nuts are good in general to eat during school because they have many health benefits. Mix peanut butter in oatmeal or just eat it out of the jar with a spoon. Don’t judge, we’ve all done it before.
  5. Apples: Apples are full of antioxidants that help benefit your memory! Even the skin alone has many vitamins and nutrients that benefit your brain.