The Ursuline Chronicle

Save the Earth in 10 days

Natalie Baag, Senior writer

How to Save the Earth in 10 Days

By Natalie Baag

Inspired by the iconic movie, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, I decided it was time to spread some knowledge on how the individual person can save the Earth in 10 days.  Although I’m no Andie Anderson, I do know, as anyone should, a little bit about the environment. As we have been told time and time again, the environment and the world as we know it is deteriorating before our eyes, and we need to take every action possible to stop or at least prolong the decay of our world.  Every action, no matter how small, can contribute to the improving and protection of the natural world. Here are ten small, but effective, things you can do each day to save our planet.

Day One: Ditch the microbeads.

Many face scrubs and handwashes that we buy contain small bits of plastic that are used to cleanse and exfoliate.  Little do most people know, as microbeads are washed down the drain and enter our waterways, they absorb pollutants and toxins, are eaten by fish and other animals, and can even end up on your dinner plate, thanks to the food chain! The solution is simple: stick to products that don’t contain plastic microbeads, such as Burt’s bees and Lush products!

Day Two: Shorten your shower.

A great way to reduce water usage and even better, cut down your water bill, is shortening your shower! Decreasing the time you spend in the shower by just 5 minutes can save over 10 gallons of water.  Pro tip: Play a song around 5 or 6 minutes long and make it a goal to finish your shower before it ends. You can sing to some great tunes and conserve water all at the same time!

Day Three: Skip the straw.

I’m sure you’ve heard of this one.  If you have been out to a restaurant in the past few months, you probably weren’t given a straw with your drink. Restaurants all around the country have been participating in the movement of “Skipping the Straw” and you should too! By opting not to use a straw with your drink, you are saving not only the sea turtle, but many other marine animals that ingest the plastic as it breaks down in the ocean. If you need to use a straw, metal straws that can be cleaned and reused are a great option!

Day Four: Use reusable shopping bags.

When you go shopping, especially grocery shopping, bring a reusable shopping bag with you! You can forgo the disposable plastic shopping bags they give you, many of which end up in the ocean and are eaten by sea animals.  If you don’t own one, don’t worry! Many grocery stores sell them for as little as one dollar.

Day Five: Buy an online book.

Although I know we all love to have a nice paperback book to bring to the beach, isn’t it much more satisfying using a tablet to read when you know you’re helping the environment? By buying online books instead of buying hardback or paperbacks, you are saving forests and reducing habitat destruction that costs animals their homes every day.  

Day Six: Donate your clothes.

We all have those shirts and dresses in our closet we bought years ago that still have the price tags on them.  Instead of throwing clothes in good condition out to make space for new ones, donate them! Not only are you helping someone who possibly can’t afford new clothes, but you are also reducing the amount of unnecessary items that end up in landfills each day.  

Day Seven: Eat less meat.

As we devour our Shake Shack and Five Guys’ burgers, many of us, including myself, tend to not realize how expensive and environmentally strenuous the production of a simple hamburger really is.  By skipping the meat and opting for a vegetarian option, you not only save an animal but many aspects of the environment, too. Fun Fact from PETA! “Animal agriculture is responsible for more greenhouse gases than all the world’s transportation systems combined.” Nevermind, that wasn’t very fun…

Day Eight: Turn off the lights.

Although it’s probably just a habit for everyone by now, turning off the lights when you leave a room is a vital part in saving the environment.  Switching the lights off when they’re not being used reduces energy usage and power plant emissions, therefore decreasing the amount of fossil fuels that are burned. Flip that switch!

Day Nine: Recycle.

One of the most popular and well known initiatives to saving the Earth is recycling.  Part of the classic three R’s: Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle, this action is so easy to accomplish, for all you have to do is put a recyclable object in a bin.  By recycling objects like bottles, paper, and cardboard, you are reducing landfill space and waste and reducing pollutants that come from trash.

Day Ten: Educate others.

The final and most important step of saving the earth in 10 days isn’t just another random action, but instead, it is to educate your friends and family on what they can do to help too.  Spreading advice about environmentally friendly actions to those who might not have considered doing such activities is a crucial part in environmental activism. With your help, we can all work to save the earth in 10 days.