Deck the Halls

Lucy Madden

It’s Christmas time at Ursuline Academy and that means it’s time for the Advisory Door Decorating! Each year the whole middle school body is split up into advisories and competes in different challenges to get points. Door decorating is a favorite among students. The advisories bring in the own materials from home, come up with an idea and decorate. The doors were decorated from December 3rd through December 10th. The doors are judged by teachers based on look, cleanliness, and creativity. The judging took place on December 13th and 14th.

Teachers and students weighed in before the judging on who they thought would win. “I think Mr. B is going to win.” Said Caroline Peach (7th grade). Addie Hurst ,“I think it will be either Mr. B or Ms. Berger.”

I also asked a teacher what his opinion was on the subject. Mr. B said,  “I think Ms. Koenig’s is pretty clever. The simplicity of their idea may sway the judges.”

The advisories are always run by teachers, this year it was Ms. Berger, Ms. Koenig, Miss Donnelly, Mrs. Phillips, Mrs. Web, Mr. McGiveny, and Miss Morris.

The themes this year were very impressive, from gingerbread houses to snow globes. Mr. B’s door (and hallway) featured A Charlie Brown Christmas complete with a picture of his face and even snow!

The winner was announced on the morning of December 17th. In third place was Mr. B’s advisory. In second was Ms. Morris’ advisory. And finally in first place is Mrs. Phillips’ advisory the P’s in a Pod.

After the announcement was made, a few of the students from the winning advisories commented on how they felt.   “Proud. I’m surprised honestly.” says Amelia from 7th grade. “It was cool because we put a lot of effort into it and everyone worked as a team.” Commented Katie Brooks (8th grade). The advisory door decorating contest that both teachers and students alike hope will continue for years to come.