The Ursuline Chronicle

The Most Meaningful Gift

Clara Korley

I was eight years old when I first came up with the idea to write a letter to my grandfather. He had died when I was about four. I had been thinking about it for some time that day. I remember asking my mom about writing a letter to him and sending it into the sky up to heaven. She was really happy that I had asked. All of my memories of him were of riding around his backyard with my cousin in a small jeep made for little kids. When I had gotten back to my house I asked for my own car to ride around in and was surprised when I got my own for my birthday.

I was really excited to write the letter. “I wonder what I should write about.” I said to my mom. She told me to write about what had happened this year. “Write about school, friends, family” she said. I did exactly what she told me to do and worked on it for almost a week. I wrote about the events of that year, my books, and presents I wanted for Christmas. I asked my grandfather how he was doing, what it was like in heaven, and for advice.

On Christmas Eve, we went to the dollar store to pick out a balloon to send my letter to him. “I think we should get him this one” I said pointing to the blue balloon with confetti decorating its front. My mom asked the guy working there to get it for us. The man dragged his feet as he walked over and handed us the balloon. I wondered if he was excited for Christmas. I skipped to the cash register when we purchased the balloon. My mom smiled at me when I we got in the car. I could tell this meant a lot to my mom. My grandfather was really important to her. When we got home I went upstairs while my mom made dinner. I sat at my desk and thought of how to finish my letter. We’d decided to send it off tomorrow on Christmas after we had opened the presents. Finally, I knew what I wanted to tell him.

I sighed. My parents still weren’t up yet. We have a rule at my house. No waking up parents until after 8:00 . The problem was, it was Christmas and I wasn’t feeling very patient. Twenty minutes later my parent’s door opened up. “Merry Christmas!” I said cheerfully. My mom chuckled and gave me a hug.  The present opening went by in a blur.

Once we had all cleaned up the wrapping paper and put our gifts away we decided to send the letter. My mom ,of course, made me get my coat while Dad got the balloon. As I tied the letter to the balloon I thought about my grandfather and all he meant to me. I remembered his smile, his eyes, and all the fun times we had together. I remember how much he loved us.

I remembered visiting my grandpa and grandma’s house with the princess table in the kitchen, the spacious backyard, and the brick front steps. As my parents and I headed out the front door a cool breeze hit me. I forgot I was wearing pajamas. Right before I let go I looked at my parents, my mom put an assuring hand on my shoulder. Then I let go. I watched it float into the gray sky blowing in the wind. Right before it disappeared beyond the trees I realized how much this meant to me. It was a way to connect with my grandpa, to be close to him. I could’ve sworn I felt him smiling at me from the heavens as I turned around and headed inside.