The student news magazine of Ursuline Academy

The Ursuline Chronicle

The Ursuline Chronicle

The Ursuline Chronicle

The Ursuline Chronicle

Taylor Swift’s Latest Suprise: “The Tortured Poets Department”
Elizabeth Collins, Senior Editor-in-Chief • February 19, 2024

Taylor Swift can easily be named one of the most prolific musical artists of recent decades. In only the past five years, combining new music and re-released albums (a journey...

View All

Transferring…Becoming a Raider

Adapting as a High School Transfer: Insights and Advice From a New Ursuline Academy Raider 

Both exciting and intimidating, as a transfer student entering a new high school, it takes a lot of adjusting. Adjusting to a new learning environment, new teachers, understanding your new school’s culture, new faces of peers around you, being the “new kid,” making new friends, and having new teammates. However, these adjustments and new experiences are essential to adapting as a new student. As a transfer student myself, I find myself struggling in not just one but almost all of these fields. Here are some insights and tips that can be the key to both easing the transition and giving you the ability to make the most out of your high school experience. 

Adjusting takes both time and an open mindset. As a student, you may find yourself worrying about why things aren’t immediately falling into place, why you keep getting lost in the curving hallways that seem like a maze, and why you are still addressed as the “new girl.” It takes time, so do not be too hard on yourself, especially when things are not going the way you may expect them to. Give yourself the space to accept the different things around you. Accepting your new environment allows you to adapt. It is important to remember that it is okay to seek help when you need it. Whether this support is from fellow students, faculty, teachers, or counselors, asking for support is not a sign of weakness. But a sign of strength. 

A positive mindset will allow you, as a new student, to focus on what truly matters as you learn in a new environment. Having a positive mindset may be hard. When I started school as a new incoming junior at Ursuline Academy, I was entering an all-girls catholic school coming from a Co-Ed military academy. I felt  out of place and alone at first, and with this, I found myself going down this hole of negative thoughts. In turn, this negativity made me stressed, unmotivated, and sad. But when I kept an open mind and told myself “I am in a new environment. I’m new to everyone here,” I gained a positive mindset. Gaining this positive mindset, I opened myself to more opportunities at my new school. I saw myself making friends and being more comfortable. Along with this mindset, it is also important to remember that you are not alone, all these students around you were once “new students” too. Things will get better with both time and a positive mindset. 

At first, the transition into a new high school may be overwhelming. But with time, an open mindset, a proactive approach, and a positive mindset, you can make this intimidating transition a rewarding experience, remember that you are not just new to the environment around you, the environment is also new to you. And remember that each day in this new school is a new chance to grow, learn, and make memories with new friends and teachers in your new academic home. Be optimistic as a new student! There are so many unique opportunities that come with being a transfer student.